Writing an essay on argumentative topics requires strong research and convincing arguments. You need to be well prepared to stand by your points if you have made a debatable point. Make sure you always have enough strong material to support your subject. Institutions are always providing such themes to teach them about leadership and how to make a strong argument. You can write about any of the following argumentative essay topics for college students provided in this article, but always be ready to support your personal views by founded reasons, proof, evidences, and facts.
Points to Remember
- When writing, always make sure your writing matter is understandable and crystal clear.
- The arguments that you make should be facts that should support your position.
- To make the process easier, imagine that you are a lawyer of a person who has been innocently accused, and your job is to prove his innocence. You should make your defense disputatious, well-reasoned, and supported by facts. Think that your job is to defend your client under any circumstances. Stepping into a lawyer's shoes may do the trick and give you the spirit of writing good matter.
We live in a democracy, and every person is said to have freedom of speech and expression. However, there are some controversial titles, which can get you in a soup if you don't have facts supporting them. People may shower you with abuses, or your writing will be called baseless, as you have no facts supporting it. Here are some themes, which can be written on.
- Dieting makes people fat.
- The war on terror has contributed to the growing abuse of human rights.
- A compulsory voting law for all citizens should be passed.
- All forms of government welfare should be abolished.
- Both parents should share equal responsibility in raising a child.
- Cigarettes production and sale should be made illegal.
- Is the global climate change man-made?
- Is death penalty fair?
- Is physical torture acceptable?
- Should a rapist, if proven guilty, be awarded capital punishment?
- Censorship is sometimes justified.
- Should the government and military personnel have the right to go on strike.
- Americans should have more holidays and longer vacations.
- Privacy is not the most important thing.
- We cannot function without computers. Is this dependence on computers a good thing or bad?
- Any student caught cheating in exams should be automatically dismissed.
- Students attending college in the US should be required to take at least two years of a foreign language.
Any kind of writing involving arguments is bound to invite some controversies and harsh views every time someone writes on them. Students may get bored writing about the same old stuff now and then. Here's a list of some funny themes, which are easy on your brain and not heavy as today's headlines.
- Marijuana should be legalized and allowed to be sold in coffee shops.
- The Hollywood movie rating system is manipulated.
- College books should be given to students for free.
- Uniforms should be made compulsory for college students.
- Parking and coffee charges should be included in fees.
- Every student should be exempted from taxes.
- Gas prices and wages should increase simultaneously.
- Even kids should be allowed to vote.
- Jury duty should not be mandatory.
- All legalized US citizens should get free health insurance.
- For a healthy lifestyle one should become a vegetarian.
- Is lying to your spouse justified?
- Was Michael Jackson abducted by aliens?
- Elvis Presley is still alive.
- McDonald's is better than Burger King.
- The infamous Janet Jackson super bowl incident was not an accident.
- All is fair in love and war.
- Self defense classes should be compulsory for everybody.