When it comes to books, there are so many choices that we can get confused just by staring at the different sections in a bookstore. But whenever most of us wish to buy a book or get a good read, we can't help but opt for a book series. Why? Because we know what those books are about, the story, and we're eagerly awaiting what's about to happen next.
A series doesn't get popular on its own. The hard work and dedication of the author, the progression of the storyline, and the gripping, intense plot along with its characters make a book worth reading. During the warm, summer afternoons when you can't think of anything better to do then read, the true companion that they are, these books come to the rescue.
If you've never read a series before, by any author, you've been warned; once you start, it's going to be extremely difficult to leave the book aside and get back to the normal world. So with that warning shot, we'll move on to finding some of the best series for young adults and other age groups.
Top Book Series of All Time
There are many people, around the globe, who read books for their own enjoyment. Needless to say that few of those have favorite authors and love to read more of their work. And when some of these authors write series of books in a particular genre or storyline, it gives them immense satisfaction and pleasure to read the story as it progresses.
Keeping that in mind, we have put together few of all time favorite series. Now, the list is quite big and the inclusion of the books is deserving.
Needless to say, Harry Potter is one of the best fantasy books of all time. As kids, we've spent our times playing 'Dungeons and Dragons', creating a make believe world, but when it comes to writing a story about the same, you'd have to think a thousand times.
The author, J.K. Rowling has superbly brought us up close and personal with witches and wizards with her fantastic fantasy novel series. The battle between good and evil has been going on for centuries and her Harry Potter series follows the life of an eleven year old orphan boy, Harry Potter, that he in fact is a wizard and that he has magical powers.
His life takes an unexpected turn when he joins Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Quite frankly, if you still haven't read the books, then may we suggest that you get them today. The movie adaptation might seem thrilling but they are nothing compared to the books.
Lord of the Rings
An epic fantasy written by J. R. R. Tolkien is actually a sequel to his previous novel, The Hobbit, but the fantasy trilogy, Lord of the Rings became a much bigger work than the previous one.
The story is set in North-West Middle-earth where a hobbit named Frodo Baggins receives the Ring from his cousin, Bilbo Baggins. Frodo has to destroy this Ring before the evil, Dark Lord Sauron gets his hands on them. The Ring can only be destroyed by throwing it in the fire of Mount Doom.
So he sets on his journey along with few friends, Samwise Gamgee, Peregrin Took, Meriadoc Brandybuck, Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, and Boromir. The books vividly describes this difficult journey and shows how good will always prevail over evil no matter how small and less powerful one can be.
The Twilight Saga
Twilight, written by American author Stephenie Meyers, is a four series about a fantasy romance between a human and a vampire. Bella Swan, the human 17 year old girl, moves in with her father in Forks, Washington, and immediately falls in love with a boy from her school.
What she doesn't realize in the beginning is that this boy, Edward Cullen, is in fact a 104 year old vampire. Their love story is of a different kind; Bella can't seem to keep herself from thinking about Edward and wanting to be with him for all eternity.
On the other hand, Edward tries desperately to control his lust for blood and not kill Bella. As you read the books, you can literally sense the erotic tension between the two and see how both keep risking each others' lives to find meaning behind this "relationship".
Other Good Book Series
Apart from the classic series we've listed before, let's not forget that there are many more authors who have made a name and niche for themselves. Here are some of the world's best selling books of all time that'll make you an instant fan; in no particular order.
- A Series of Unfortunate Events ~ Daniel Handler
- Chicken Soup for the Soul ~ Various
- Danielle Steel series
- Discworld ~ Sir Terry Pratchett
- His Dark Materials ~ Phil Pullman
- In Death series ~ Nora Roberts
- James Bond ~ Various
- Jason Bourne series ~ Robert Ludlum
- Malazan Book of the Fallen ~ Steven Erikson
- The Vampire Chronicles ~ Ann Rice
- Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle ~ Betty MacDonald
- Peter Rabbit ~ Beatrix Potter
- Redwall ~ Brain Jacques
- Sherlock Holmes series ~ Various
- Sidney Sheldon series
- Song of Ice and Fire saga ~ George R.R. Martin
- Star Wars series ~ Various
- The Adventures of Asterix ~ René Goscinny and Albert Uderzo France
- The Bobbsey Twins ~ Various
- The Chronicles of Narnia ~ C.S. Lewis
- The Dark series ~ Christine Feehan
- The Dark Tower series ~ Stephen King
- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy ~ Douglas Adams
- The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
- The Princess Diaries ~ Meg Cabot
- The Railway Series ~ Rev. W. Awdry & Christopher Awdry
- The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants ~ Ann Brashares
- The Southern Vampire Mysteries ~ Charlaine Harris
- The Sword of Truth series ~ Terry Goodkind
- A Song of Ice and Fire ~ George R. R. Martin
- Divergent ~ Veronica Roth
- The Mortal Instruments ~ Cassandra Clare
- Jack Reacher Series ~ Lee Child
- The Inheritance Cycle ~ Christopher Paolini
- Shiva Trilogy ~ Amish Tripathi
- Ram Chandra Series ~ Amish Tripathi
- Artemis Fowl ~ Eoin Colfer
- Robert Langdon Series ~ Dan Brown
- Les Misérables Series ~ Victor Hugo
As you can see that the list is a mix of best books for kids, teens, young adults, and adults. So take your pick. Whichever genre you prefer to read on, thriller, sci-fi, vampire, mystery, or adventure, these books are just waiting to be explored.