Fanfiction websites are a great tool for budding writers to easily showcase their talent to a large audience at once, share their creativity, and get reviews from like-minded people. Penlighten gives you a list of 13 most popular fanfiction websites.
Fanfiction is basically fiction written by fans or, to put it in a better way, admirers of the original work. Fanfiction writers include much of the same characters and also sometimes choose to add new ones, if they want to. Fanfiction stories often reflect the writer’s view (in this case, the view of the reader of the original work) as to what should have happened in that particular story. Fanfiction also encourages “crossovers”, when writers choose to combine the elements of different stories in one single fictional creation.
There are several websites dedicated solely for fanfiction, and are a great platform for writers of any age to publish their content online. What makes these websites very popular is that most of them are free, and the process of uploading content is fairly simple, and writers get reviews from other fans, which encourages them to keep writing.
If you’re looking to read some really good fanfiction, or are a writer searching for the perfect fanfiction website to publish your work, you’re on the right page. Here’s a list of the 13 most popular fanfiction websites, including generic fanfiction websites, as well as subject-specific ones.
Start browsing: Fanfiction.net
Start browsing: Quotev
Start browsing: Wattpad
Start browsing: Archive of Our Own
Start browsing: Fictionesque
Start browsing: Harry Potter Fanfiction
Start browsing: TONFA
Start browsing: K-Pop Fanfiction
Start browsing: Twilighted
Start browsing: Percy Jackson Fanfiction
Start browsing: One Direction Fanfiction
Start browsing: Mrs. Darcy’s Story Site
Start browsing: Asian Fanfics
Fanfiction is fun to read, and not very difficult to write once you have the idea in your head―you already know the characters, the original plot, and the writing style of the author. If you’re writing fanfiction for the first time, here’s a little advice for you.
- Check your grammar and spellings thoroughly before you submit any story. If there’s one thing that genuine fanfiction-lovers hate, it’s a poorly-written story. Though the essence of the content is important, correct grammar and good spellings are important too!
- Don’t include explicit content in your story. Many websites cater to audiences of different ages, including children, and if your story has inappropriate content, it may be rejected by your chosen fanfiction website.
- Make sure you read all the rules and guidelines specified by the website before posting your story, mainly about copyrights and other related issues.
- Decide the plot of the story beforehand. Your story shouldn’t confuse the reader with a complicated plot. Be really clear about what you want to write, and prepare a rough draft for yourself so that you can read it and decide if you need any changes.
- Don’t expect to get paid! Fanfiction websites are a great platform for you to showcase your writing skills, but that’s it. Don’t expect to get paid for posting any work of fanfiction on a particular website.
If you want to become a professional writer, you’ve got to start somewhere, so why not start with this? Writing fanfiction is a great way to get started on improving your writing skills. We hope the aforementioned list helps you find great stories to read, as well as an audience who eagerly reads your work! Best of luck, and we hope to read your stories on these websites soon!