Tips for Narrative Essay Writing
✦ You may have hundreds of stories to share but pay attention to what storyline the teacher has given. You may get a prompt, so make sure that your story revolves around it.
✦ Instead of writing on a vast topic like "holidays", find a specific event of the past or a person you met. Likewise, it is good to limit the number of characters you introduce to the reader. Just bring in the most important characters and events.
The word 'narrative' actually refers to a story, be it a true one or imaginary. A narrative essay refers to the narration of a personal experience. These are given as assignments to test your thinking abilities and creativity. Find a very detailed topic so that you have all the words in the world to play with.
After that, make a draft with the exact details of how your story is going to start, end, and the events that occur in between. Generally, narrative essays are written in the first person. So see to it that you continue the "I" factor all through the story. These essays are mostly written in the past tense so remember that too.
There are different types of topics you can touch upon, because it all depends on you. You could choose a past incident like something you learned from a wrong choice or just use your imagination to write on "If I were" topics.
Given ahead are some topics to get you started. You can pick one of them or build on the ideas you like. Just remember that the reader should be able to imagine what you have been imagining while writing. Do well!
50 Narrative Essay Topic Ideas
- How it started with your best friend
- Special surprise for your parents
- The overcoming of a phobia
- A moment that changed you
- Your unique strengths
- Taking a difficult but right decision
- The feeling of infidelity or disappointment
- The feeling of failure or success
- A person/place/thing that holds your heart
- The most surprising event of your life
- The feeling of owning a pet
- If you had superpowers ...
- If you could re-do your life
- The best time you had with family/friends
- The known stranger
- The most memorable trip
- Your greatest accomplishment
- The importance of money in your life
- A book/movie that changed you
- When you would want to run away ...
- Words that have inspired/troubled you
- If you were an animal ...
- The urge to travel and explore
- Capturing moments forever
- If you had a million dollars ...
- Lesson learned from a child or a speechless animal
- The most horrible moment/day of your life
- The idea of a romantic date
- Boredom to Freedom
- What would you change in yourself?
- The most embarrassing moment of your life
- Down the memory lane
- Ahead in the future
- Your childhood: good and bad things
- Moving to a new place
- An adventurous day
- Experience of getting lost
- The influence of society on you
- The best dance you had
- The first day of school/college/job
- If your pet could talk to you
- Your weakness
- A secret talent/love/fantasy
- If you could do whatever you want ...
- What is beautiful and ugly for you?
- Reunion of separated friends/lovers
- What charity would you do, if you were filthy rich?
- Something unnatural you have experienced
- Lesson learned the hard way
- Your thoughts on love/hatred/friendship/family