"It is also difficult to articulate the subtleties in cinema, because there aren't words or metaphors which describe many of the emotions you are attempting to evoke."
How can you not agree with Conrad Hall? Because if there were enough words and metaphors in the world, then there would be none of the hilarious metaphors that make reading so amusing from time to time. Unintentionally, many a time authors in a bid to make emotions clear and concepts simpler resort to using similes and metaphors. But sometimes these metaphors while conveying the intended message, tend to become humorous and well, rib-tickling to say the least. In this article, we give you some funny metaphor examples. But before we do that, we tell you what exactly a metaphor is.
So, how do you define a metaphor? In the simplest of terms, a metaphor is one of the most used figures of speech, where one concept is used to understand another concept. When an author uses a metaphor, he or she builds some sort of a comparison between two differing concepts that have a similar relation. When a person says, He is a tiger, he is using metaphor to refer to the bravery of a tiger by making a comparison between the two without stating so in direct terms.
The origin of the word metaphor can be traced to the terms, metaphore from old world French, which when translated roughly means carrying over. More often than not, while trying to understand the concept of metaphor, you may look up examples of similes and metaphors both, and it is possible to be confused between the two. It is very easy to distinguish between the two types of figures of speech. While using a simile, there will always be a word used to denote the comparison; for example, like, as, etc. But if you look up examples, you will notice that the comparison with metaphors is indirect and subtle.
Examples of Metaphors that are Funny
If you start searching for funny metaphor examples in literature, you may be in for a bit of a needle in a haystack search, because most good and well written books tends to have comparisons that are beautifully put. Most rib-tickling metaphors that you will find are examples from amateur works. The list given below came out tops amongst all the funny metaphor examples we found.
- The toddlers looked at each other as if they had just been told their mutual funds had taken a complete nosedive.
- She was a couch potato in the gravy boat of life, flopping dejectedly on the sofa.
- It will take a big tractor to plow the fertile fields of his mind.
- Suddenly, she was pinned by the spotlight, a struggling fish caught in a spider's web
- All at once he was alone in this noisy hive with no place to roost.
- The beautiful child was the center of attention, with his golden curls and tuna fish complexion.
- There is no difference between a forced bachelor and an involuntarily herbivorous lion.
- Do you have to ape Peter Pan in every aspect of your life?
- A colony of E.coli growing on room temperature Canadian beef could not match their affection for each other.
- Standing at the corner cubicle, suddenly the two of them heard a growing sound of barely hushed giggles. At the root of it was the little girl who called them the twin towers of the office.
- Her face was a perfect oval with two sides of a circle gently compressed by a Thigh Master.
- Underpants in a dryer and thoughts in his head displayed the same degree of making and breaking alliances.
- The revelation of infidelity in a 30 years marriage and surcharge at a formerly surcharge free ATM can be equally shocking.
- Even in his last years, Granddad had a steel trap mind, only one that had been left out so long, it had rusted shut.
- The young fighter had a hungry look, the kind you get from not eating for a while.
- Her eyes were limpid pools, only they had forgotten to put in any pH cleanser.
If you are looking for metaphor examples that would help you teach the figure of speech to eager students, then these may not be the best examples to look at. These funny examples should be referred to only when you are looking for some moments of sheer fun and laughter.