There are many topics that most people are always ready to discuss. One of these topics is the problem of child abuse. For a debate or an elocution competition which has this as the subject, you would want to keep some important tips in mind.
Did you know that every day as many as five children die as a result of abuse in America alone and that three of these children are under the age of four? Exploitation of children is a problem that is reflective of what is the most horrible reality of our society. Heaping mental, physical, and sexual abuse on kids who do not even fully understand the nature of these actions can scar them for life.
While people often live under the misconception that this form of abuse is restricted to the lower echelons of the world that we live in, the fact of the matter is that it is a problem that occurs at all levels of society, regardless of ethnicity, culture, economic standing, or even education. It is no wonder then that it is one of those topics that is hugely debated by people all over the world. If you are ever needed to take part in a debate about child abuse, you would need to know the points that need to be discussed. In this article, we will tell you how to write such a speech.
Writing a Speech on Abuse of Children
The process of writing any persuasive speech remains more or less the same. Regardless of the topic you have at hand, the process that you undertake will remain more or less the same. With any speech, it is your job to convince your listener about your point of view. You need to provide them with valid examples and statistics to support your arguments. In the specific case that we are discussing (child abuse), statistics will always be your ace card. They will give your speech the credibility and believability it needs.
Follow the steps given below in order to write a speech on abuse of children.
- With any speech, the first sentence of your delivery has to be the most impressive. This is one of the most important parts of the speech that you will need to concentrate on. It is with that first sentence that you will manage to draw your audience in. Knowing that your audience is listening to you without any distraction can be a brilliant way to boost your confidence. With a proper introduction not only do you need to grab the attention of your audience, but you also need to introduce the subject to them. While writing your speech, it is important that you concentrate on your introduction.
- While we started out with the importance of a good introduction, before you actually start writing the speech it is important that you research your subject well. You need to know all the important details. Where a topic like exploitation of kids is concerned which is a sensitive issue, it is important that you give out the statistics. Study national and international cases that have come to the light. You need to understand the various circumstances that lead to cases of abuse, and the traumatic effect that it can have on a child. Research is the backbone of your speech and without proper understanding it could fall flat.
- Another thing to keep in mind while writing your speech would be to understand who your audience is. Several details in a speech about abuse of kids can be shocking and disturbing. If you are talking in front of a young audience, you would not want to startle them with these details. For an older audience who definitely know the basics of the problem, you would not want your speech to be superficial glossing over the surface of the problem.
- Another area of attention is the ending to your speech. Without a proper ending, your audience can be left confused. You want to ensure that they know that you have presented your arguments in front of them and that the ball is now in their court. End with a bang. Wake the audience out of the stupor. Use facts or an anecdote or even a hard hitting quote. All of these could work very well.
- Keep an eye out for any developments in the subject area. Read the newspapers regularly for any event that has occurred. Adding details to a current affairs topic can be extremely helpful while delivering a persuasive speech. This way your audience knows that you are abreast with the topic and are not just mouthing figures that have been quoted ad nauseam.
These are the simple steps that you can follow in order to write a speech on abuse of children. Before you deliver the speech, it is important that you practice it well. For a topic that is as sensitive as child abuse, you need to feel for the subject and have conviction in your voice. In the United States, a report of abuse of a child is made every ten seconds. Your speech could be responsible for educating more people about this depraved problem that is haunting our society.