With rising education costs, the demand for scholarship programs is also growing. You need to write a letter of interest for scholarships to the sponsors, to convey your interest in the scholarship.
A letter of interest for a scholarship holds immense value for the current generation of students. Candidates yearning a scholarship, need to write this letter to the scholarship committee, to convey interest for the same. The letter is a kind of cover letter. Scholarships are offered either by the universities or other private committees. Writing this letter serves as a means to convince the committee that you deserve the scholarship and make a suitable candidate.
Applying for a scholarship and getting one is a tough and lengthy process. The competition to obtain any scholarship is huge, and the committee is flooded with thousands of applications in a short period of time. A cover letter plays a major role in convincing the committee members that you are a deserving candidate for the scholarship. Below, we have provided a guide that discusses the way to write scholarship letters. Have a look.
How to Write a Letter of Interest for a Scholarship
A scholarship letter, being a formal letter, follows the same format as any other formal letter. The content of the letter should be well thought out and then should be presented well. There being plenty of letters the committee gets daily, and your letter should stand out from the rest. Given below is the description and the template of this kind of letter.
- Writing all the details at the left side is the general convention of letter writing. The address details of the sender are written first, and then come the address details of the receiver. The date is written between these two addresses.
- After that comes the subject line. Subject line is a short description of the intent of writing the letter.
- What follows next is the letter salutation. The letter salutation is a greeting to the recipient of the letter, and if you do not know the name of the person, to whomsoever it may concern should be used as the salutation. Then all the important content of the letter is written, which forms the body of the letter.
- The letter should begin with the mention of the source from where you got the information of the scholarship, and the name of the scholarship you wish to apply for.
- Secondly, mention how the scholarship would benefit you in your educational pursuit. You can also make a brief mention of your educational qualifications and achievements.
- Conclude your letter by demanding additional information of the scholarship. Valediction comes at the conclusion of the letter, and usually it is sincerely or faithfully. Provided below is the template and a sample for a scholarship interest letter, to help you out better.
|Name of the sender
Address of the sender
Name of the recipient
Subject: Letter of interest for scholarship for _______(Name of the course).
(Content of the letter)
(Name of the sender)
B-22, Harvard street
Subject: Letter of interest for scholarship for the Master in Management program.
To whomsoever it may concern
With reference to your advertisement published in the careers section of the New York daily; I am keenly interested in applying for the scholarship program being offered for the management students. I am a native of Columbia and have completed my graduation studies in Bachelors of Arts from the Columbia University.
I have obtained excellent grades in my high school and graduation school, and was also the recipient of many awards during the school and college years. It had always been my dream to become a manager, and, luckily, I have been granted admission at your esteemed university in the current year of the management program.
I am a hardworking individual and used to work part-time at a retail shop during my graduation. In fact, I have sponsored my graduate study fees. The scholarship program would benefit me immensely, and help reduce my financial burden to a huge extent. I would appreciate it, if you convey me the details of the scholarship program, along with mailing me the application form. I have mentioned my address and other contact details in the letter for further correspondence. Thanking you in advance.
Before drafting the letter, check all the relevant details like the deadline date, and do not forget to proofread the letter for any mistakes, once you are done. All the best!