Cancellation letters are usually written for canceling certain services or orders. These letters have to be specific with respect to what one has to say. The cancellation details need to be expressed very concisely and clearly, in order to reduce chances of a misunderstanding. Here are a few tips on writing cancellation letters.
- Length: 1 page
- Word Count: 150 to 300 words
- What to Avoid: Lengthy description
Points to Remember
- While writing cancellation letters, the language used must sound polite but firm.
- It is important to include date, name of the company, your name, contact details, your account number/client identification number, etc in your letter.
- While writing, clearly mention that the company no longer has an authority to continue any kind of activity with your account/client id.
- State in the letter that you wish to receive a written confirmation about the cancellation.
- You need to keep in mind that there is a notice period of 30 days before a cancellation is made effective. Specify the steps you will take in case your account is not canceled within the stipulated 30 days' time.
- Type the letter, print it on a good-quality paper and include your signature as well.
Sample of a Letter for Cancellation of Service
Giant Animations Company
14, Sunnyvale Ave.
Phone no: 0044-1756-3933
October 20, 2012
Aqua Water Supply Company
15th Street, Davenport, Iowa
Subject: Cancellation of Supply
This is with reference to our client code (number). Our office is shifting to a new location in the first week of November 2012. Therefore, we request you to cancel your water supply service to our office with effect from October 30, 2012.
Our records show that we have paid all our dues. If any payments are due from our side as per your records, please send us a detailed bill for the same. Considering our long term association with your company, we request you to waive the uninstallation charges (if any).
Please confirm receipt of this request by sending a reply as early as possible. We thank you for the excellent service provided to us by your company.
Sample of a Letter for Cancellation of a Credit Card
6060, Allendale Crest,
August 6, 2012
XYZ Credit Cards Company
Subject: Cancellation of Credit Card
This is with reference to Credit Card no.________________ issued by your company in my name. I wish to cancel this credit card on account of certain personal reasons. I would appreciate if it is done with immediate effect. I am attaching herewith, a copy of the receipt issued by your company towards full and final payment of my credit card dues.
Kindly send me a written confirmation that my account has been closed on your end. I would be thankful to you for your time and immediate attention to this matter.
It's advisable to maintain hard copies of your cancellation letters along with their respective tracking orders and requests. They can be used as proofs in case of any dispute arising after the letter has been submitted. The above samples should simplify your task of writing a cancellation letter. With slight changes in the content, the letter samples can be used for drafting cancellation letters of other types too.