An eviction letter is required when a landlord has to request his tenant to leave rented premises legally. Here is some information about eviction letter template.
An eviction letter is a legal notice given by a landlord to a tenant. It serves a request to evict or quit the house or premises. It is a legal and formal way to inform the tenant to leave the temporary authority of a land or residential/commercial premises. Eviction cases are quite popular in courts and eviction letters serve as a proof for unwillingness shown by the tenant to leave the owner’s property. From landlord’s point of view, the contents of an eviction letter matter a lot. This article tells you how to write a letter of eviction.
Points to Remember
- For monthly tenancy plans, ninety days notice period is necessary in some states. Inquire about it from the state authorities.
- If the tenants have been negligent in taking adequate care of the premises or if they haven’t paid their rent and taxes, the landlord can ask them to vacate the premises. If there is a watertight tenancy agreement between the landlord and the tenant specifying the rules and regulations of tenancy, the tenant can be easily evicted for violating any of the rules.
- While drafting the letter, mention the name and address of the tenant and the landlord exactly as it appears in the tenancy agreement.
- The date of the letter plays a crucial role in eviction letters. After all, it decides the exact number of days until the last day of eviction.
- Present all the facts clearly and with complete authenticity.
- End the letter highlighting the objective of writing the letter.
- Once the eviction letter is served, maintain a written proof that reflects that the tenant has received it. e.g. signature of tenant on a receipt. The eviction letter may be served by the landlord himself or with the hired help of the sheriff in the locality.
- If the tenant is unavailable for receiving the eviction letter, the same may be published in the local newspaper. However, this option may or may not be permitted by your state. It is recommended that you take legal advice before choosing this resort.
Mailing Address (optional)
Re: Eviction notice for House/Apartment no.___
Dear Mr./Ms./Dr. _(last name)_,
|Mr. James Freeman
1015, Wise Court,
Date: August 12th, 2012
Re: Final Eviction notice for Apartment no. 4, Patsy Place
Dear Ms. Lopez,
As you are already aware, Apartment no. 4, Patsy Place, Baker Street, Upper Sandhurst is a legal property of Mr. James Freeman. You have been living in this house as a tenant since November 2008, without causing any unrest or discomfort to the landlord. Your tenancy agreement has expired on May 1st, 2012, after which you have neither vacated the aforesaid premises nor approached the landlord for extension of your tenancy agreement. You were previously served an eviction notice on June 1st, 2012 to vacate the premises along with your possessions by July 1st, 2012. However, you failed to adhere to it.
If you fail to respond to this notice, the landlord holds a right to take charge of the premises immediately after the notice period. Any cost arising out of damage to the premises, legal expenses, and overdue rent will be deducted from your security deposit. Hope you will evict the premises and pay your overdue rent within the stipulated time.
An eviction letter has strong impact on the tenants and they do respond with more awareness, negotiate with the property owner and end up paying the overdue rent. Hope my suggestions and letter template prove useful in solving your problem.