A farewell letter to colleagues can be used to bid goodbye to all the colleagues, which one has grown close to. If you decide to write a farewell letter, here are samples you can refer to.
Keep the letter brief and precise, avoid any form of criticism about your colleagues, work culture or organization policies. This is to ensure that you part ways with your previous organization on a good note.
The most difficult aspect of leaving a job, is leaving behind the colleagues who have offered support and encouragement to you, during your work tenure. The best way to bid adieu to all your colleagues is by sending out a farewell letter to coworkers in the form of an email. However, writing a farewell letter is not as easy as it looks.
Your workplace might be close to your heart, making it extremely difficult to find the right words to write this letter.
Sample – 1
As most of you are aware, I am moving to Florida due to certain personal reasons. Tomorrow will be my last day at work, and so I take this opportunity to bid you all farewell.
During the last four years that I have worked here, I have learned a lot from you all. It was because of your constant support and encouragement that I was able to perform my duties so well. In my position as a Deputy Manager, I have gained considerable knowledge and thus I shall always cherish this, as one of the most satisfying phases in my career.
On a personal level, I have shared a special bond with all of you and I shall take away with me, special memories of our time together. I would be delighted if any of you choose to visit me in Florida, and if there is anything I can do for you, please do let me know.
I will inform you of my new address and telephone numbers as soon as I get settled in the new place. I wish each one of you, the very best in all your future endeavors, both professional and personal.
Sample – 2
As many of you know, today is my last working day at ABC Corporation. I will be starting work at my new position in XYZ Company next month.
Before leaving, I just wanted to say that I have enjoyed my time here and will miss the team. I appreciate all the support, insights, and help you have provided me over the past 2 years, and want to thank you for it.
If you need to get in touch with me, I can be reached at my personal email address ([email protected]), or at home, 555-767-1234. Do keep in touch!
Thanks for everything.
Points to Remember
- This letter is addressed to people you are close to and not the entire organization. Ideally, the letter should maintain a formal tone. If it is being sent out to only a selected set of colleagues, it could be more personal and informal in tone.
- You may mention high points (projects or otherwise) of your tenure.
- If you were a part of the company for several years, you may feel the need to chronicle some milestone achievements you had a hand in, resulting in a longer letter. In this situation, you could explain your departure by saying that though you’ve grown personally and professionally, it is time for a new challenge and experience.
- This letter provides an opportunity to express despondence over leaving and gratitude for all the support you received from your colleagues. You may even mention the names of certain people who were your mentors during your tenure.
- Don’t forget to include your contact information at the end of the letter; e.g. – residential address, phone number, email address.
Both the above samples follow a different pattern. The first sample is slightly long and detailed, while the second one is casual and short. The amount of time you have spent at the job is likely to be among the governing factors that will help you decide which format would suit your situation better.