A perfectly drafted response letter goes a long way into creating excellent personal rapport and increases chances of customer satisfaction. Here are a couple of response letters to help you understand their writing technique.
It is essential to give references at the beginning of the letter to help the reader form a connection with the letter’s contents. e.g. mention a job code for a letter about a job vacancy, or mention a sales voucher number in a letter pertaining to sales related query.
Drafting business letters is an inevitable part of any business. This article will guide you about writing some formal response letters. As the name suggests, they may be written in response to business related advertisements, customer queries, product related complaints, or even a note of praise from clientèle. The way they are written, says a lot about the company and its culture. Brush through this article for some interesting letter writing tips.
1090 Peachtree Lane, #4
Atlanta, GA 30303
Date: May 4, 2012
Job advertisement for ‘Multi-talented teacher’
Dear Ms. Gallagher,
I have a master’s degree as well as a teaching certificate from the state of Georgia. Current, I am working with Greene Elementary School in Atlanta. I have 5 years worth of excellent teaching experience. In addition, I have sufficient experience in managing school administration and handing student-parent counseling sessions. As per the current trend and requirement, I have good computer skills as well. The responsibilities mentioned in your job vacancy advertisement are quite similar to the work I am currently involved in.
Please find attached, my resume, true copies of my certificates, and reference letters. I am also attaching a recommendation letter from Mr. James Brown, Principal, Greene Elementary School, Atlanta. In case you need to get in touch with me, please feel free to reach me between 1 pm and 6 pm on my home number mentioned above.
I sincerely thank you for your time and consideration.
White Sands Hospitality,
Contact no: 123-456-7890
Date: August 20, 2012
Cruise booking No. 126653
Dear Mr. Armstrong,
Please find attached a copy of your tariff card, booking invoice, a copy of Paypal payment receipt, cruise ship map, cruise events’ calendar, and a detailed itinerary for your entire week on the cruise. In case of further clarification, please feel free to get in touch with us between 9 am and 6 pm on the above mentioned contact number.
Thank you for choosing White Sands Hospitality, the best rated hotels and hospitality services in Canada. We wish you a wonderful stay on your upcoming White Sands Holiday Cruise trip.
- The most important thing is to create the right impression on the minds of your customers. As far as customers’ mails and queries are concerned, answer them through a business response letter as soon as possible.
- Response letters written by organizations to their customers may be pre-numbered. However, this is not mandatory. However, such letters are expected to be printed only on official letterheads.
- The letter should include full name, address and contact number of the person or the organization, on behalf of which the letter is being written.
- Writing the date is extremely crucial in response letters. Letter dates are held as proof of timely response by the company, if there happen to be any customers’ complaints and disputes.
- Mention full name and address of the recipient at the beginning of the letter. Avoid misspelling the name, since it may be seen as an indifference on part of the writer.
- The salutations of the letter are written as ‘Dear Mr./Ms. (last name)’.
- There are no specifics on the number of paragraphs to be included in the letter. However, it is best to write a concise letter with a length of one page or 200 words, whichever is less.
- End the letter with ‘Sincerely’, followed by signature and name of the writer or an authorized person from the organization.
The essence of a response letter is the etiquette followed in its language. Therefore, make use of the three golden words wherever essential; please for making any requests, sorry for expressing apologies towards customer complaints, and thank you in response to words of appreciation.